Monday, June 18, 2012

Recipe of the Day: Sausage Egg and Cheese Un-Muffin

One of the simplest ways to lower your daily carb intake is to remove the excess starches.  Bread, for example, is often superfluous.  Sure it serves as a nice platform for food (and I'll admit it, the taste is pretty awesome), but it's usually loaded with sugars and/or high fructose corn syrup and relatively low on nutrients.  (You know that "enriched" flour they use?  They have to enrich it with vitamins because on its own it doesn't have any.  Just starchy carb calories.  Blech.)

I have found, for example, that almost any sandwich can be turned into a salad.  In the mood for a ham sandwich?  Dice that ham and toss it onto greens, layer on the cheese, top with some tomatoes and pour on the  - full fat! - ranch dressing.  All the flavor with virtually no carbs.  Steak salads are even awesomer, in my opinion, especially with provolone cheese and mayonnaise (yes, mayonnaise is a dressing.)  Buffalo chicken, tuna fish, chicken salad - all can be keto friendly salads that satisfy without expanding your waistline.  I can't say I've tried peanut butter and jelly on iceberg, but if you do.....please don't tell me about it.

Breakfast is notorious for carb-y entrees and sides; who hasn't had pancakes with loads of syrup, with hashbrowns and toast on the side?  Oy....my pancreas is weeping just thinking of it.  Not only will those carbs leave you sugar-shocked for the morning, I can guarantee you'll be thinking about snacks by 10am.  So I submit for your consideration a fast-food favorite of mine with a keto twist.


Sausage Egg and Cheese Un-Muffin
2 large eggs
2 slices American cheese (or cheese of your choice)
1/2 lb uncooked mild sausage (or two large prepared sausage patties)

Split the sausage into two halves.  Press and pat into a palm-sized patty.  Fry in frying pan (don't worry about greasing it, the patties will supply their own!) If you can buy prepared sausage patties that are nice and big, cook as directed on the package.

While sausages are browning, melt butter or ghee in separate pan.  Prepare eggs as desired; I like mine over medium, but over easy or scrambled work just as well.  If you do scramble them, try to cook them into a couple of nice clumps, don't chop them up so they're loose.  You'll see why in a couple of steps.

When sausages are nicely browned, top with the cheese.  Don't skimp; go for two slices if you like!  If you're feeling adventurous, you could go for a sharp cheddar or a creamy gouda instead of American (which, admittedly, barely deserves the title of cheese.)  You may want to put a lid on the pan to help it get melty.

Once cheese is melted, remove sausage from the pan and top with the egg. 



That's it!  A hearty keto breakfast that will keep you full for hours.  I tried these on my mom and sister and they were a big hit; the only downside was that no one was hungry for lunch. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey -- I know I'm extremely late to this post, but I would suggest cheddar cheese instead of American. Each slice of American has 3g carbs, I believe.

    ReplyDelete